70-331: Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Study Guide
The 70-331: Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server exam is the first SharePoint 2013 exam required yo get your Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) SharePoint Certification. As someone who got his MCSE SharePoint 2013 certification, this 70-331 Study Guide to help you find materials to study, and ace the exam. I will share both free and paid options, whether books, video training or simply links to articles and blog posts. I will not share any dumps as those are against the Microsoft Terms of Service, and by using dumps, we decrease the value of our certifications.
Link to Exam on Microsoft Learning
|70-346 Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements||Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements||70-346 Study Guide – Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements|
|70-347 Enabling Office 365 Services||Enabling Office 365 Services||70-347 Study Guide – Enabling Office 365 Services|
|70-331 Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013||Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013||70-331: Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Study Guide|
|70-332 Advanced Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013||Advanced Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013|
Books that covers the whole exam
|Exam Ref 70-331 Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 (MCSE)|
Prepare for Exam 70-331—and help demonstrate your real-world mastery of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 core solutions. Designed for experienced IT professionals ready to advance their status, Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSE level.
Get it on Amazon at the following links:
|Professional SharePoint 2013 Administration|
The new iteration of SharePoint boasts exciting new features. However, any new version also comes with its fair share of challenges and that’s where this book comes in. The team of SharePoint admin gurus returns to presents a fully updated resource that prepares you for making all the new SharePoint 2013 features work right. They cover all of the administration components of SharePoint 2013 in detail, and present a clear understanding of how they affect the role of the administrator.
Get it on Amazon at the following links:
Video Training for the exam
NOTE: Pluralsight is a paid resource unlike Channel9 and Microsoft Virtual Academy which are free. The quality they provide is also superior because of all the quality checks they go through, and the instructors are one of the best in the industry. The Pluralsight courses have a link to where you can get a free trial and decide for yourself if paying a subscription or not is worth it, but the 10-day free trial should allow you to view all those courses for free.
|SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) Part 1|
Part 1 of 3 in the SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) series covers a range of topics including the installation and management of SharePoint 2013, PowerShell, data management, and more.
|SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) Part 2|
Part 2 of 3 in the SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) series covers a range of topics including the installation and management of SharePoint 2013, PowerShell, data management, and more.
|SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) Part 3|
Part 3 of 3 in the SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions (70-331) series covers a range of topics including the installation and management of SharePoint 2013, PowerShell, data management, and more.
|Implementing a Hybrid SharePoint 2013/2016 Infrastructure|
SharePoint hybrid infrastructures are gaining popularity, so SharePoint IT professionals need to prepare. You’ll learn how to configure a hybrid infrastructure in either SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016 to allow your users to be more productive.
|Planning and Deploying Office Web Apps 2013|
Office Web Apps Server is a new Office server product that delivers browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. In this course, you will learn what exactly Office Web Apps 2013 is, how it works and how you can install and connect it with Exchange, Lync, and SharePoint.
|Exam Prep Session for Exam 70-331 and Exam 70-332: SharePoint Server 2013|
This Exam Prep session is designed for people experienced with Microsoft SharePoint 2013, who are interested in taking the 70-331 (Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013) and 70-332 (Advanced Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013) exams. These exams are required for the new MCSE: SharePoint certification. You can expect to review the topics covered in these exams in a fast-paced format, as well as receive valuable test taking techniques. You will leave with an understanding of how Microsoft certification works, key topics covered in the exams, and an exhaustive look at resources for getting ready for the exam. The session is led by a Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), experienced in delivering sessions on these topics.
Instructor-led training (Microsoft Official Courses)
|Course 20331B: Core Solutions of Microsoft® SharePoint® Server 2013 (5 Days)|
This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to configure and manage a Microsoft® SharePoint Server 2013 environment. This course will teach you how to configure SharePoint Server 2013, as well as provide guidelines, best practices, and considerations that will help you optimize your SharePoint server deployment.This is the first in a sequence of two courses for IT Professionals and will align with the first exam in the SharePoint Server 2013 IT Pro certification.
Articles / Blog Posts per objective
Design a SharePoint topology (20–25%)
- Design information architecture
- Design an inter-site navigational taxonomy; design site columns and content types; design keywords, synonyms, best bets, and managed properties; plan information management policies; plan managed site structures; plan term sets; plan hybrid cloud integration requirements
- Design a logical architecture
- Plan application pools; plan web applications; plan for software boundaries; plan content databases; plan host-header site collections; plan zones and alternate access mapping
- Content database limits [TechNet]
- Powershell commands: Set-SPSiteURL, Remove-SPSiteUrl, Get-SPSiteUrl [TechNet]
- Design a physical architecture
- Design a storage architecture; configure basic request management; define individual server requirements; define service topologies; plan server load balancing; plan a network infrastructure
- Plan a SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365) deployment
- Evaluate service offerings; plan service applications; plan site collections; plan customizations and solutions; plan security for SharePoint Online; plan networking services for SharePoint Online
Plan security (20–25%)
- Plan and configure authentication
- Plan and configure Windows authentication; plan and configure identity federation; configure claims providers; configure site-to-site (S2S) intra-server and OAuth authentication; plan and configure anonymous authentication; configure connections to Access Control Service; configure authentication for hybrid cloud deployments
- Plan and configure authorization
- Plan and configure SharePoint users and groups; plan and configure People Picker; plan and configure sharing; plan and configure permission inheritance; plan and configure anonymous access; plan web application policies
- Plan and configure platform security
- Plan and configure security isolation; plan and configure services lockdown; plan and configure general firewall security; plan and configure antivirus settings; plan and configure certificate management
- SharePoint 2013 app infrastructure configuration and isolation (Video)
- Antivirus and SharePoint 2013 (Blog post)
- Powershell: Get-SPCertificateAuthority, Get-SPSecurityTokenServiceConfig,New-SPTrustedRootAuthority, New-SPTrustedServiceTokenIssuer, Get-PfxCertificate [TechNet]
- Configure SSL for SharePoint 2013 [TechNet]
- Plan and configure farm-level security
- Plan rights management; plan and configure delegated farm administration; plan and configure delegated service application administration; plan and configure managed accounts; plan and configure blocked file types; plan and configure web part security
- Apply Information Rights Management to a list or library [Office Support Article]
- Powershell: New-SPClaimsPrincipal, Get-SPServiceApplication, Get-SPServiceApplicationSecurity, Grant-SPObjectSecurity, Revoke-SPObjectSecurity, Set-SPServiceApplicationSecurity [TechNet]
- Powershell: Get-SPManagedAccount, New-SPManagedAccount, Remove-SPManagedAccount, Set-SPManagedAccount [TechNet]
- Manage Web Parts in SharePoint 2013 [TechNet]
Install and configure SharePoint farms (20–25%)
- Plan installation
- Identify and configure installation prerequisites; implement scripted deployment; implement patch slipstreaming; plan and install language packs; plan and configure service connection points; plan installation tracking and auditing; implement managed paths for Office 365 migrations; configure SharePoint hybrid cloud settings
- Plan and configure farm-wide settings
- Configure incoming and outgoing email; plan and configure proxy groups; configure SharePoint Designer settings; plan and configure a corporate catalog; configure Office Web Apps integration; configure Microsoft Azure workflow server integration
- Configure site mailboxes (video)
- Powershell: Add-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroupMember, Remove-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroupMember [TechNet]
- Powershell: Get-SPDesignerSettings, Set-SPDesignerSettings [TechNet]
- Plan for apps for SharePoint 2013 [TechNet]
- Planning and Deploying Office Web Apps 2013 [Pluralsight]
- Powershell: Register-SPWorkflowService [TechNet]
- Create and configure enterprise search
- Plan and configure a search topology; plan and configure content sources; plan and configure crawl schedules; plan and configure crawl rules; plan and configure crawl performance; plan and configure security trimming
- Enterprise search architectures for SharePoint Server 2013 (Microsoft Download Center)
- Create and configure a Managed Metadata Service (MMS) application
- Configure proxy settings for managed service applications; configure content type hub settings; configure sharing term sets; plan and configure content type propagation schedules; configure custom properties; configure term store permissions; configure managed metadata service (MMS) imports
- Create and configure a User Profile Service (UPA) application
- Configure a UPA application; set up My Sites and My Site hosts; configure social permissions; plan and configure sync connections; configure profile properties, configure audiences
- Powershell: New-SPProfileServiceApplication [TechNet]
Create and Configure web applications and site collections (15–20%)
- Provision and configure web applications
- Create managed paths; configure HTTP throttling; configure List throttling; configure Alternate Access Mappings (AAM); configure an authentication provider; configure SharePoint Designer settings
- Manage lists and libraries with many items [Office Support Article]
- Create and maintain site collections
- Configure Host header site collections; configure self-service site creation; maintain site owners; maintain site quotas; configure site policies; configure a team mailbox
- Manage site and site collection security
- Manage search
- Manage result sources; manage query rules; manage display templates; manage Search Engine Optimization (SEO) settings; manage result types; manage a search schema
- Manage taxonomy
- Manage site collection term set access; manage term set navigation; manage topic catalog pages; configure custom properties; configure search refinement; configure list refinement
Maintain a core SharePoint environment (20–25%)
- Monitor a SharePoint environment
- Define monitoring requirements; configure performance counter capture; configure page performance monitoring; configure usage and health providers; monitor and forecast storage needs; monitor SharePoint hybrid cloud deployments
- Tune and optimize a SharePoint environment
- Plan and configure SQL optimization; execute database maintenance rules; plan for capacity software boundaries; estimate storage requirements; plan and configure caching; tune network performance
- You Shall Configure your MAXDOP When Using SharePoint 2013 (MSDN Blog post)
I think the best thing that you can do after reading this, or even meanwhile, is to prepare some Virtual Machines either on your computer, or in Azure, and try to install SharePoint Server 2013, and play with those features, follow the tutorials and you shouldn’t have any problems with the exam!
Did I miss any cool links in this guide? Let me know in the comments!
Follow me on Social Media and Share this 70-331 Study Guide with your friends!
|Leave a comment and don’t forget to like the Vlad Talks Tech Page on Facebook and to follow me on Twitter here for the latest news and technical articles on SharePoint. I am also a Pluralsight author, and you can view all the courses I created on my author page.|